Events & MeetingsBecome a member
Penicillin, Pandemic: Pandora’s box?
- Date: Thursday 6th May 2021 from 1.00-2.00 pm
- Venue: Zoom meeting
- Members £0.00
- Non Members £
This meeting is being subsidised by the Manchester Medical Society and is FREE for all to attend. You will be able to submit questions to the speaker during the event using the Q&A function on Zoom. The webinar will be recorded.
Register in advance for this webinar at: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_3noHBDahT0SSs32kjH4SWw
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. To create a free zoom account, visit www.zoom.us.
Dr Tomaz Garcez, Consultant Immunologist, Manchester University NHS FT
This talk will discuss the burden of penicillin allergy including the impact of a penicillin allergy label. Data from the UK and globally will be presented to set the context of antibiotic allergy, with a focus on events related to anaesthesia. The steps required and different approaches to de-labelling penicillin allergy will be summarised including the challenges faced. This will link to some of the more recent issues with a drug allergy label linked to vaccines for the COVID-19 pandemic.
- penicillin allergy is vastly over reported
- the majority with a label of penicillin allergy are not allergic
- de-labelling penicillin allergy is relatively easy and can be performed in no
- specialist settings
- the recent pandemic vaccine roll out demonstrates very aptly the risks of allergy labels