Events & MeetingsBecome a member
Anaesthesia Outside the Operating Theatre (Joint meeting with the YSA)
- Date: Friday 14th May 2021 - all day
- Venue: Zoom meeting
- Members £0.00
- Non Members £
This meeting is being subsidised by the Manchester Medical Society and is FREE for all to attend. You will be able to submit questions to the panel during the event using the Q&A function on Zoom. Register in advance for this webinar:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. To create a free zoom account, visit www.zoom.us
This event is accredited by the Royal College of Anaesthetists for 5 CPD credits.
From 10.00 am – 4.30 pm
Holistic Orthopaedic Surgery – What can we achieve together?
Mr Antony Clayson, Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon, Wrightington Specialist Orthopaedic Hospital
As an Orthopaedic surgeon asked to support a new Orthopaedic Unit in Ethiopia develop its trauma services, Mr Clayson rapidly realised the benefits of engaging a team of UK colleagues, medical, nursing and physiotherapists, in specialties of Trauma Rehabilitation, Anaesthesia, Emergency Medicine and Critical Care, to deliver a ‘holistic’ approach whereby the effectiveness of us as a team would be far greater than the sum of our individual parts. This talk reports their progress supporting the establishment of trauma services in Hawassa, Southern Ethiopia since April 2016, their plans for the future and that Orthopaedic Surgeons can think about the holistic care of patients rather than the ‘there is a fracture, I have to fix it’ stereotype, commonly portrayed in wider medical circles!
What’s new in perioperative medicine
Dr Daniel Conway, Visiting Professor, Manchester Metropolitan University Consultant in Anaesthesia and Critical Care Clinical Director Perioperative Medicine Manchester Foundation Trust
- To critically assess preoperative assessment and the impact of virtual consultations and virtual prehabilitation
- To discuss the impact of preoperative assessment and preparation for surgery for people who have suffered from COVID – 19 pneumonitis
- To consider the role of the perioperative physician in the promotion of global public health
The Anaesthetist in PHEM: From the roadside to the resus room
Dr Tom Eckersley, Consultant in Intensive Care, Major Trauma and Pre-Hospital Emergency Medicine, Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
- What is modern Pre-Hospital Emergency Medicine in the UK?
- What attributes and skills does an anaesthetist require perform in the pre-hospital environment?
- How does an anaesthetist or anaesthetist-in-training become involved in PHEM?
Transfer, Retrieval and Repatriation Medicine; The Anaesthetist as a Flying Doctor
Dr Simon Forrington, Consultant in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Manchester University NHS FT (Wythenshawe); Medical Director for Capital Air Ambulance
- What is meant by Transfer & Retrieval Medicine (TRM)?
- What opportunities exist for the anaesthetist in TRM?
- How are international transfers undertaken?
- How are international transfers governed?
- What is it like to work as a Transfer Doctor?
- What training / courses and qualifications are available for aspiring TRM doctors?
Chairs – Dr Karen Kidner, President of MMS Section of Anaesthesia and Dr Raj Sandhu, President, Yorkshire Society of Anaesthetists
Trainees Case Presentations
- Danielle Eusuf – ‘The collaboration of Deanery educational resources to maintain education during the COVID-19′
pandemic: The National Teaching Repository
- Eloisa Maclachlan – ‘Ultrasound measurements of vastus lateralis in #NOF patients to assess sarcopenia’
- Paul Bramley – ‘Carotid Endarterectomy in Yorkshire and the Humber: an Audit of Perioperative Practice’
- George Higginbotham – Chris Church Medal Prize 2019/2020 – ‘Balancing neurotoxicity and neuroprotection in neonates’
Prehabilitation: General principles and the service in GM
Dr Robert Loveridge, Consultant Anaesthetist, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust and Honorary Senior Lecturer, Edge Hill University
An overview on the evidence and rationale for various interventions in prehabiliation together with a narrative of the experience of setting up a service across Greater Manchester.
- Which patients should have prehabilitation?
- What prehabilitation interventions are evidence based and how do I provide them for my patients?
- How best to initiate a prehabilitation service
Speaker to be confirmed